Monday, February 13, 2017

The Sixth Mission - #52: Creative

Food! Glorious food!

Yet again, I am beset by another food challenge...

Who shuffled this deck!?

This one should prove to be interesting, especially with my allergies, it has been the crux of what my wife and I have had to deal with the past 4 years.

The second week of February has proven to be a very VERY long week. Regardless of my intention for 2017 to "do less", it seems I have ended up with the same breakneck pace as previous years. So the last couple days of this week left me with a sense of inability to get this task done.

Thankfully there is my weekly D&D group. One of the ways I have lured them into playing at our place is the offer of food. One of the things I love to do is host (I believe I mentioned that before). In this group, we have several different food preferences, whether they be medical, religious, or moral, so trying to find something that fits can be challenging.  This week I settled on BREAKFAST! But to make it portable to the gaming table, I made them all in muffin form.

One of my fellow gamers was so enamored with tonight's offering, he became the recipient of the card.  Thanks Steve!


1 loaf Against the Grain Baguette
     (a regular french bread baguette will suffice, if you don't feel like avoiding wheat)

1 - 8 oz package three cheese cheddar cheese blend

9 large eggs

3 tblsp half & half

salt & pepper to taste

Optional:
   1 - 12 oz package Smithfield All Natural Uncured Bacon
       0r
   1 - 12 oz tube Country Style Pork Sausage

for bacon muffins:
Line a baking tray with parchment paper, lay bacon on tray and place in 375 degree oven for 12-15 minutes or until cooked to desired doneness (I prefer mine just a little under done so it has some room to cook in the muffins). Set aside and let cool.
Dice Bacon.

for sausage muffins:
Brown sausage in skillet. Set aside and let cool.

Spray 12-count muffin pan with cooking spray.

Defrost baguette according to directions, dice baguette in 1/2 inch cubes.  Place 3-4 baguette cubes in each muffin tin.

Optional: Sprinkle bacon or sausage in each muffin tin, cover each with cheese.

Crack all eggs in bowl, add half & half, salt and pepper. Scramble eggs thoroughly. Pour enough egg mixture into each muffin tin to about the 2/3 mark.

Place in 375 degree oven for about 30 minutes (or until toothpick comes out clean).

Let cool and serve.



Feel free to make modifications, use ham instead or add sautéd vegetables till your heart's content.  make sure not to overload any of the muffin tins.

Card Updates:

No movement yet Travelers! Stay tuned though, hopefully soon we see new and exciting locations!

No comments:

Post a Comment